Fructose is a poison, it is not an acute poison,
but it is a chronic poison.
HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP
The FDA classifies fructose as “GRAS”: Generally Regarded as Safe. Which pretty much means nothing and worst is based only on the idea that fructose is “natural”.
There is plenty of scientific data showing that fructose is note safe - - but the effects on our health have not been immediate. That is why we are just now realizing the effects of the last three decades of nutritional misinformation.
Consuming High-fructose corn syrup is the fastest way to trash you health.
It is now known WITHOUT A DOUBT that sugar in your food (in all its myriad of forms) is taking a devastating toll.
And fructose in any form -- including high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) and crystalline fructose -- is the worst of the worst.
Fructose is a major contributor to:
* Insulin resistance
* Elevated Blood Pressure
* Elevated Triglycerides
* Elevated LDL Cholesterol (The Bad Cholesterol)
* Depletion of vitamins and minerals
* Cardiovascular disease, liver disease, cancer, arthritis and even gout
A CALORIE IS NOT A CALORIE.Glucose is the form of energy our body is designed to run on - it is our “fuel”. Every cell in our body, every bacterium -- and in fact, every thing living on Earth -- uses glucose for energy.
One century ago we were getting our fructose from vegetables and fruits (where it originates), the consumption was then 15 grams per day -- a far cry from the 73 grams per day the typical teen ager gets from sweetened drinks today.
In vegetables and fruits, it is mixed in with fiber, vitamins, minerals, enzymes and beneficial phytonutrients, all of which moderate any negative metabolic effects.
There are two reasons fructose is so damaging:
I. Our body metabolizes fructose in a much different way than glucose: the entire burden of metabolizing fructose falls on our liver.
II. People are consuming fructose in enormous quantities, which makes the negative effects more damaging.
Today the number One source of calories in western diet is SODA in the from of HFCS.
The average Westerner consumes a staggering 142 pounds a year of sugar!
And the very products most people rely on to lose weight -- the low fat diet foods -- are often the highest in fructose.
Making matter worse, all of the fiber has been removed from these processed foods, so there is essentially no nutritive value at all.
FRUCTOSE METABOLISM BASICS
I will here just summarize the main points.
* After eating fructose, 100% of the metabolic burden rests on your liver. But with glucose, your liver has to break down only 20%.
* Every cell in our body, including our brain, utilizes glucose. Therefore, much of it is “burned up” immediately after being consumed. By contrast fructose is turned into free fatty acids (FFAs), VLDL (the damaging form of cholesterol), and triglycerides, which get stored as fat.
* The fatty acids created during fructose metabolism accumulate as fat droplets in our liver and skeletal muscle tissues, causing insulin resistance and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). Insulin resistance progresses to metabolic syndrome and type II diabetes.
* Fructose is the most lipophilic carbohydrate.
* When we eat 120 calories of glucose, less than one calorie is stored as fat.
* But when we eat 120 calories of fructose 40 calories will be stored in fat. Consuming fructose is essentially consuming fat!The metabolism of fructose by our liver creates a long list of waste products and toxins, including a large amount of uric acid, which drives up blood pressure and causes gout.
* Glucose suppresses the hunger hormone ghrelin and stimulates leptin, which suppresses our appetite. Fructose has no effect on ghrelin and interferes with our brain’ s communication with leptin, resulting in overeating
The bottom line is: fructose leads to increased belly fat, insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome -- not to mention the long list of chronic diseases that directly result.
As if the negative metabolic effects are not enough, there are other issues with fructose that disprove its safety:
* Many studies have detected unsafe mercury levels in HFCS.
* Crystalline fructose (a super potent form of fructose the food and beverage industry is now using) may contains arsenic, lead, chloride and heavy metals.
* Nearly all corn syrup is made from genetically modified corn, which comes with its own set of risks
The FDA isn’t going to touch the sugar industry, so it is up to you to be proactive about your own dietary choices.